10 Financial Safety Tips for Travelers
It’s summertime and adventure awaits. For many, this means exploring new places through travel. Whether your journey takes you to the other side of the world or just across state lines, Allegiance Bank and the Independent Community Bankers of America® (ICBA) remind consumers to plan accordingly to keep their money safe and summer vacations on track.
Here are 10 tips to consider before you hit the road:
- Inform us of your plans. If you’re traveling with your debit card outside of Texas, please contact your Allegiance Banker at 281-894-3200 during normal business hours to inform us of your destinations and travel dates. This will provide us an opportunity to update your debit card record to ensure you will not be inconvenienced while traveling.
- Consider a chip-enabled card or contactless card. If your travel plans take you overseas, note that chip-enabled technology is quickly becoming a card acceptance requirement for all card transactions.
- Carry multiple cards with you for backup. Families or couples may get even greater back up coverage if each person takes a different card.
- Create transaction alerts for credit and debit cards. If you suspect your information has been compromised, contact us and your credit card provider as soon as possible.
- Bring a list of emergency phone numbers. Be prepared with numbers for your bank and credit card companies that you can call from outside the country.
- Know the limits on how much you can withdraw. Also be sure to save your receipts.
- Thoroughly check any ATMs that you use. Ensure the card reader does not look like it has been tampered with. When in doubt, choose another terminal.
- Lock away valuables. Items such as passports, backup credit cards, copies of financial information and extra cash should be kept someplace secure, like your hotel safe.
- Use social media with care. Posting your pictures or whereabouts during travel could leave you susceptible to home invaders.
- Monitor charge activity. Upon returning from your vacation, review your purchases and ATM withdrawals with your bank and credit card companies.
Enter your name and email address to receive Allegiance Bank news in your inbox.
YOU MIGHT LIKE...
June 10, 2019 – At Allegiance, we believe in making a difference, together. That’s why we value…Learn More >